How can we help?
Irish Passport Application
An application for an Irish passport can be made by all Irish Citizens. On receipt of an Irish Passport, you will be permitted to travel internationally to 186 countries. An Irish passport provides documentary evidence that you are a citizen of Ireland and the European Union.
Benefits of an Irish Passport
An Irish passport is considered as the 6th best in the world allowing access to over 186 countries. An Irish Passport permits you to:
- Work, reside or attend University in Ireland;
- Work, reside or attend University in the EU;
- Work, reside or attend University in the UK;
- Retain your Citizenship of Origin; and
- Bestow Irish Citizenship on your Children.
Can I apply for an Irish Passport?
There are a number of sets of circumstances where you are entitled to apply for an Irish Passport
- You are an Irish Citizen;
- You were born on the Island of Ireland before the 1st of January 2005;
- You were born on the Island of Ireland after the 1st of January 2005 and one of the following apply:
- One of your parents is an Irish Citizen;
- One of your parents is a British Citizen at the time of your birth;
- Neither of your parents are Irish or British Citizens, but have resided on the island of Ireland for 3 out of the last 4 years prior to your birth and have the right to live freely in either the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland;
- Either of your parents were granted refugee status prior to your birth; or
- If you were born in Ireland and are not entitled to Citizenship of any other country.
- You were granted Irish Citizenship through a Special Declaration;
- You were adopted by an Irish Citizen;
- You were born outside Ireland to an Irish parent;
- You are a grandchild of a person born on the Island of Ireland who are registered on the Foreign Birth’s Register; or
- You are the great grandchild of a person born on the Island of Ireland and your parent was registered on the Foreign Birth’s Register.
How can I apply for an Irish Passport?
Irish passports can be applied for online or by appointment at the public counter at the passport offices located in Dublin City or Cork city depending on your circumstances.
If you are an Irish Citizen whether making a first-time application or renewal who resides on the island of Ireland, European Union, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland & Britain you can apply online. For renewals, all Irish citizens can apply online, regardless of their location. Online applications are the fastest and cheapest method of application. However, passport express services can be made via post offices on the Island of Ireland.
In Person Applications
If you reside in Ireland, you may apply for one of the limited appointments at the public counter at the passport offices located in Dublin City or Cork city
If you do not reside in the island of Ireland, European Union, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Iceland & Britain you should contact your local embassy, assuming you are not permitted to make an online application.
Irish Passport Card
You can apply for an Irish passport card once you hold a valid Irish passport. A passport card will only be valid for five years or valid until the expiry of your Irish passport if less than five years. An Irish passport card is valid for travel in the European Union, European Economic Area & Switzerland.
Please contact our Immigration Solicitors today on 00 353 1 255 24882 or [email protected] for any queries you may have with respect to Irish Passport Applications, or any immigration matters you have.
Please call today for a consultation on 071 984 1322 or our Dublin office on 01 2552488 or use our contact form.